Who would you cast as a young 19th century spy?
I like to cast the characters in my books as if I’m casting a movie. It helps me imagine them in the story and makes it much easier to write. To come up with the right images, I look at photos of movie casts to try to find actors whose features are similar to the images I have in my head. It’s fun to do (and I’m really not procrastinating with this task, really), and when I’m stuck on a scene, if I can get a picture of an actual person in mind, I can better visualize what they would be doing and saying. Sometimes, though, it’s tough to find just the right person.
For my latest book, I thought I’d ask for some opinions. THE GARGOYLE IN THE SEINE is about a young female art student in Paris in 1878, a time when it was scandalous for girls of “respectable” families to want to study painting in studios with actual male models, who just might be naked.
Clary, brought up like a gypsy in the wilds of America, finds her skills at roasting lizards and hunting rabbits little use in seeing behind the treacherous sophistication of both Reese and of those who hold the key to Liam’s death. Reese manages to hunt revolutionaries without ever wrinkling his evening clothes or revealing his own secrets, all of which Clary finds maddening. When Clary realizes she knows too much and has become a target of the revolutionaries, she and Reese have to find a way to tolerate each other long enough to try to save Clary's brother and stop the assassination, or face the possibility of losing their own lives.
The art student, Clary, has been fairly easy for me to picture, but I’ve had a hard time getting just the right image for Reese. Even though the book is already written, I plan to make it a series ans would love to pin down someone whose face I can picture when I’m writing a scene. The three shown above each have potential, but I just can’t settle on one, which may mean there is someone else who would be a better fit. So if anyone out there has an opinion of which one of these looks like a young 19th century spy, or know of another actor they’d recommend, I’d love to hear it.
And in case you are curious about the names of the actors in the picture, they are, from left to right: Ben Barnes, Matthew Lewis, and Henry Caville.
Order Apryl Baker Merchandise
Hello everyone! My name is Rachel Meinke, or some of you may know me as knightsrachel from my life over on Wattpad. It’s such an honor to b...
Hi, my name is Thelma and I will be your host. We have an exciting show for you all today with lots of wonderful character interviews from...
THE GHOST FILES SERIES SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE!! The Ghost Files Volume 3 By Apryl Baker Summary from Goodreads: One,...
- ► 2016 (69)
- ► 2015 (269)
- ► 2014 (165)
- ► 2013 (67)
- Introducing YA Author Courtney Vail
- Introducing Author Yasir Hayat
- Introducing Author Natasha Duncan-Drake
- Introducing Author Diana Murdock
- Introducing Author Audra Middleton
- Introducing Author Miranda Lynn
- Introducing Author Peggy Randall-Martin
- Introducing Author L. Anne Beard
- Introducing Author Linda Ulleseit
- Introducing Author C. C. Cole
- Introducing Author Joe Harwell
- Introducing Author Caddy Rowland
- Introducing Author Dee Garretson
- Introducing Author Shalini Boland
- Introducing Author Jennifer Hubbard
- Introducing Author Tallulah Grace
- Introducing Author Michael Young
- Introducing Author Jenny Phillips
- Introducing Author Tammara Webber
- Introducing Author Peter Meredith
- Introducing Author S.J. Clarke
- Introducing suspense/horror writer Vincent Bivona
- Today's author post
- Introducing Author Grace Elliot
- Introducing Author Delsheree Gladden
- Introducing Author Ann Simko
- Introducing Author Kristyn Carter
- Introducing Author Laura Diamond
- Introducing Author M. Todd Gallowglas
- Introducing Author Carlyle Labuschagne
- Introduing Author Cameo Renae
- Introducing Paranormal Author Susan Stec
- Introducing YA Author Jessica Redmerski
- Introducing YA Author Angela Fristoe
- ▼ March (34)