I’m an author and I regret nothing!
This holiday season you see commercial after commercial about New Year’s Resolutions, losing weight, and changing yourself. I try not to live my life with regrets nor do I try to ‘change’ myself. In this post I’ll tell you why I regret nothing about my choices as an author. Enjoy!
1. I signed with a publisher in the very beginning that took my royalties. Yep, you heard that right. In the very beginning of my writing career I signed with a pub co. that was small press. They made all these promises and then failed to deliver. Not only did they leave me high and dry, but they took my royalties that I made and never paid me.
So what did we just learn? Do your research before you sign with anyone for anything!! Because, dude, that sucked.
2. The Many Lives of Avery Snow is my very first book. It's not the best writing I can do, but I regret nothing. It was my first book! Ever! Not everyone can bang out this phenomenal book and I do not regret Avery Snow in any way. She is not the most exciting character but she's not supposed to be.
She's having a tough time in her life, darn it! How would you be if your mom died and your father left you when you were young? Probably pretty sad, right?
Book two, The Unraveling of Avery Snow is my favorite book in that series and I'll tell you why; Avery grows so strong and I grew as a writer. Yup, even writers have to grow.
3. Having bad book signings, I don't regret that. Let me explain further. I've had signings where I sell nothing. Yep, not one book. But I've learned experience and I've met authors who have given me advice that was worth more than money.
4. Ending my books with cliffhangers. I don't regret that. I have read reviews of people claiming that it's annoying and that I did it for money. I'm not in this for money. I do it because I love writing and it's a passion that I have. I like cliffhangers because I want it to be suspenseful. And yes, I want you to read book two. I want you to be hooked. I want you to wait in anticipation for the next book to come out.
5. I don't regret how being a writer means not being rich. I'll be honest with you; I'm not living in a mansion and driving a BMW because I write books. I drive a Honda and live in a two bedroom house. My house may be small but it's mine and it's home.
Being an author doesn't mean you become instantly rich. So if you're an aspiring author don't get into it for the money, do it for the love of spreading your work and because you enjoy this. Yeah, sure I hope someday to find an agent and publishing with a big publishing house.
6. I’m a total nerd. I regret nothing about that. I love my books like they are living beings. I love Harry Potter, Twilight, and reading books late at night. I don't care what people think about the topics that read either. I read mostly young adult and a lot of people don't understand that.
I, like many authors, am not perfect. I've made mistakes in this career and I do not regret any of them. I may not like some of my choices at first but I have looked back and realized that I’ve learned something from them.
I can honestly say that I have been enjoying this career and I hope to be able to continue down this path. I love my readers and I hope they stick with me through it all.
So this season, read more and regret less!