Review: Love Always, Kate by d. Nichole King


Summary From Goodreads:

Dear Diary, 

Leukemia’s been my life since I was eleven. Now, six years later, I want my life back. Only I’m not sure what that is.

The test results came back today. 22,000. Which means I’m officially out of remission—again.

I have three options:
1. Another round of chemo.
2. A super-new experimental drug.
3. Dump it all— forget the meds and treatments and enjoy the time I have  left.

I think I know what I want.

Then, in walks Damian, changing everything.

I mean, everything.

He’s got his own set of issues. It binds us together, you know? We understand what it’s like to lose what matters most in seconds.

Still, the last thing I need is to have someone else to crush if I can’t fight hard enough. And the last thing he needs is someone else to grieve.

Never mind. I’m down to two options now.

Somehow I know that whichever one I choose, the result will be the same. With the sand in my hourglass seeping to the bottom, I hope there’s enough left to show Damian that life’s worth living. Worth fighting for.

Worth dying for.

Love Always,
Kate


My Review: 

I must say I had certain expectations and preconceived ideas going into the book simply because of what the story centered around:  a young teen dealing with leukemia. To put it mildly, my expectations were completely wrong. 

It’s a story of young Kate, who was first diagnosed with leukemia when she was eleven. After surviving it for so many years, she’s gone out of remission and the cancer is back. She’s tired and she’s fought for so long when she’s faced with the choice of either taking a new drug that may or may not work or living her life to the fullest with the time she has left.

Then in walks Damian Lowell, the son of her oncologist. Damian has his own demons that have driven him to drinking, smoking, stealing cars, and getting kicked out of one school after another. He was in pain when he met Kate and she saw past his faults, past his behavior to the person he’d been.

To me, the story isn’t even about Kate, although its written from her point of view. It’s more about Damian. You see him change through her eyes, watch him grow stronger, watch him fail, and you see him get back up for Kate. He grows stronger, becomes a better person, and learns how to love someone more than anything under the stars.

Love Always, Kate is the story of Damian, at least for me. There is one point I wished he had made a different decision, but it was a beautiful story and I would recommend it to anyone who loves a love story. 

d. Nichole King put her heart into this and you can read it in every word of every page. It’s an amazing work of fiction for all ages.

Buy Links:

Kobo 

Apryl Baker

1 comment: